Monday, March 21, 2011


Readers,

Have you spent even 5 minutes in the Bible today? Please be honest with yourself. You can read through a couple chapters of the NT in less time.

As I read through Luke I am struck how easy it is for people to fool and deceive themselves. As I prepared to leave the house today, it surprised me how hard the pull was on my heart to rush ahead and not read my Bible. I had intended to pray as soon as I got out of bed, but somehow that got delayed by more than an hour and had several interruptions.


"Meanwhile, when a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that they were trampling on one another, Jesus began to speak first to his disciples, saying: “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy." --Luke 12:1

* People were trampling over one another (like at a rock concert) to hear the words of Jesus, something we may easily do anytime we want. Are we that hungry for the Lord and his words? How else will we know him/have a relationship with him? Do you go days without listening to your wife? (Wait, don't answer that question!)

* What is the danger of the Pharisees? It is saying one thing and doing another. Do you say you are a Christian? Do you claim to have a relationship with God, with Jesus Christ? You are lying if you are not committed to consistent time in His word. But this is just the first layer of hypocrisy, because--behold--the Pharisees had the entire Pentateuch memorized! The Christian life is much more than just reading the word!

Readers, bear with me as I challenge you today. I am tempted with the same hypocrisy daily and often fail. Let's work together to be controlled by the love of Christ. (II Cor. 5:14-15)

Love,

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment